Blizzard just released the newest patch Patch 2.16 for all platforms for Overwatch.
DoomFist Joins The Fray
The new hero, Doomfist, was released along with 57 goodies for players to unlock.
- Key: Yellow = legendary, purple = epic, blue = rare
- 3 Doomfist related Profile Icons (Doomfist, Fist and Initials)
- 10 Skins (Daisy, Lake, Plains, Sunset, (Blue). Leopard, Painted (Purple). Caution, Irin Avatar, Spirit (Yellow).
- Emotes: Heroic, Fake-out, Intimidate, Ready For Battle, Take A Knee, Thumbs Down. (all purple)
- Victory Poses: Heroic, Intense, Seismic Slam, Superior, (All Blue)
- Voicelines: Try Me, Combo breaker, Don’t Get Back Up, Go And Sit Down, I Haven’t Even Started, K.O., One Punch Is All I Need, Spare Me The Commentary, Talk To The Fist, You’re Not Bad, You Must Be Joking.
- 25 Sprays
- Highlight Intros: Heroic Meteor, One Punch, Uppercut (All purple)
This offensive hero will complement the dive comp meta very well with his kit of abilities, ultimate, and playstyle. Doomfist’s first ability is Seismic Slam, which he smashes into a targeted area, stunning opponents so he can deal further damage in combination with his other abilities. Seismic Slam has a seven second cooldown, and is able to be combined with Rising Uppercut, which is also on a seven second cooldown. Rising Uppercut knocks enemies high into the air. Doomfist’s passive ability, The Best Defense, grants him shields every time he uses one of his abilities against an opponent.
His primary attack is the Hand Cannon which shoots projectiles from Doomfist’s knuckles. This weapon of his has four rounds and rounds regenerate over time. His primary fire is very weak and isn’t Doomfist’s most powerful weapon. For his secondary attack, Rocket Punch, Doomfist charges forward and delivers a powerful punch, knocking back any enemy it hits in addition to dealing extra damage if the enemy is hurled into a wall. Doomfist’s abilities should be prioritized rather than his Hand Cannon since he gains shields from his abilities. Doomfist’s ultimate ability, Meteor Strike, is a dive bomb with a shock-wave that deals massive damage to whoever is in the radius. At this moment Doomfist is enabled in competitive play so be wary with everyone trying to play him.
Hero Additions – D. Va, Genji
Both D.Va and Genji have received sound effects and voice lines alerting players when they have absorbed/deflected an ultimate ability respectively. List below may not be completely exhausted.
- D. Va :
- “Korean Line”
- D. Va’s Special lines :
- To Pharah: “It’s a good thing I brought an umbrella”
- To McCree: “I think your clock’s off”
- To Reaper: “Maybe next time”
- To Soldier: “No hacks for you”
- To Roadhog: “I think this pig is a little under-cooked”
Hero Adjustments – Doomfist, Mcree, Reaper, Reinhardt, and Zarya
Blizzard didn’t take long nerfing Doomfist’s Rocket Punch by 20%; they added a new user interface indicator showing how much damage Seismic Slam will deal. McCree’s Flashbang will highly slow opponents when stunned. Players should see a drastic change to how fast a Pharah will fall down when stunned. Reaper’s Shadow Step voiceover and special effects distance have been reduced by 50%. While he wasn’t intended to be a sneaky flanker, Reaper can now better attempt to be one with this change. Reinhardt’s hammer swing speed has been increased by 10%. Rein players should notice that using his hammer will feel better than in the past. In the last patch, there was an issue that affected players with higher latency allowing them to swing faster than others. Blizzard remedied that bug but then that made the hammer feel slow and inconsistent with its hit registration. This patch solved all these past issues while adding a new change to Reinhardt’s charge. When two charging players impact each other, they will no longer injure each other but simply be knocked down. Lastly, Zarya’s Graviton Surge will disable all movement abilities of characters that gets sucked into it making Zarya a force to be reckon with yet again.Genji, D. Va, Tracer, Mercy, Sombra, Reaper, and Reinhardt will have to be mindful they can not use their movement abilities once sucked into the graviton. Perhaps we will see the meta shift slightly from dive comp with some of these hero adjustments.Time will tell if dive comp is still reigns supreme with these hero adjustments.
Loot Box Adjustment
We all know how incredibly frustrating it is to open a loot box, only to get four duplicates and almost no credit for them. Blizzard is finally moving in the right direction by extremely reducing the amount of duplicates a player receives while gaining more credit for duplicate items. This change will be a bit too late to veteran players who at this time should have a good amount of items already. This change is more geared towards new players and the overall quality-of-life improvement Overwatch needs.
New Highlight System
The game will still automatically generate highlights but will be called “Today’s Top 5.” They will remain available for 24 hours (or until the game client is patched, whichever happens first). Players now have the option to save their own clips using the “Recently Captured.” To use it players will bind a button to capture 12 seconds of your own gameplay. These too will stay until the game’s client gets patched and up to 36 highlights of this type can be stored.
New Reticle Tools
The fourth addition to PTR is added customization tools for the reticle. Before reticles were limited to 5 different crosshairs and a handful of colors to choose from. Players can now adjust the following:
- Colors (6 new colors: Orange, pink, dark blue, purple, muted yellow, green)
- Thickness (1-30)
- Crosshair length (0-50)
- Center Gap 0-100 (cant change unless you turn off “show accuracy”)
- Opacity (0-100)
- Dot Size (2-10)
- Dot Opacity (0-100)
Blizzard tweaked the respawn timing to limit defensive stalling strategies when the offensive team has the obvious advantage and plays aggressively. The respawn timer is close to 14 seconds when the enemy team is on the point. This will change how 2 CP Maps will be played as most teams relied on the stall strategy. Players will have to adapt to this by taking a more aggressive playstyle than they are used to.
Blizzard has given players loads of changes this patch that could affect this game on a multitude of levels ranging from replay value to meta. Below are the rest of the miscellaneous patch notes. Let me know which changes are close to your heart. I personally like the Zarya buff myself and I think that the most impactful change is the respawn timer.
- Clarified the text on the “Flag Carrier” options under the Capture the Flag settings for Custom Games
- Removed the “Projectile Speed” and “Projectile Gravity” options for heroes who do not have projectile weapons
- Minimum movement speed has been changed to 50% (formerly 10%)
- Players can no longer select Roadhog during Limited 1v1 matches
- The name of Mercy’s “Stethoscope” spray has been changed to “Heartbeat”
- Statistics gathered from 6v6 Elimination matches will now be added to statistics in the Career Profile
- Tie games will no longer be included in the win percentage calculation that’s listed under the Player Profile
Fixes of Bugs and Other Issues
- Fixed an issue preventing “Best In Game” stats from being updated
- Fixed a bug that could cause the user interface to incorrectly indicate that an enemy player has been hit when colliding with them
- Fixed a bug that could allow projectiles that would normally pierce shields (i.e. Reinhardt’s Fire Strike) to pass through other surfaces
- Fixed a bug that caused some players to lose audio during the match
- Fixed a bug that caused players to get a leaver penalty during offseason matches, even after the in-game banner advised it was safe to leave the match
Custom Games and Game Browser
- Fixed a bug that prevented players from being added to a Custom Game with 12 Spectator slots
- Fixed a bug in Custom Game settings that prevented some heroes with Self Healing from having a Healing Dealt modifier
- Removed the Projectile Gravity slider from heroes who do not have abilities affected by gravity
- Fixed a bug with D.Va’s Call Mech ability that allowed you to see her inside the mech before entering it
- Fixed a bug that could cause eliminations from Junkrat’s Total Mayhem to be mislabeled in the kill feed
- Fixed a bug that would cause Junkrat to use his Ultimate Callout when he is unable to use his Ultimate
- Fixed a bug that allowed Roadhog’s Chain Hook to latch on to Orisa’s Supercharger
- Fixed a bug that allowed Sombra to take damage after activating her Translocator
- The sound effects on Reinhardt’s Bloodhardt, Blackhardt, and Wujing skins have been updated to reflect the use of an axe instead of a hammer
- Fixed a bug preventing Lucio from receiving the full speed boost when traveling backwards during a Wall Ride
- Fixed a bug that occasionally prevented Torbjörn from building and upgrading his turret
- Fixed multiple hit registration bugs in Reinhardt’s Rocket Hammer
- Fixed a bug on Eichenwalde that prevented Soldier 76 from placing his Biotic Field in certain locations of Point A
- Fixed a bug that caused AI-controlled players to perpetually move toward the objective on the Gardens point in Oasis
- Fixed a bug that prevented Training Bots from facing the right direction and returning to their original location after being moved by player interactions on the Practice Range
- Fixed a bug with that was causing unusual camera angles for Highlight Intros on Route 66
- Fixed a bug that could cause D.Va to fall through the floor while boosting into the ground in a specific area on Volskaya Industries
- Fixed a bug that caused the Heroes of the Storm promotional portraits to appear locked, even after being unlocked
- Fixed a bug that could cause an error message in chat if you attempted to spectate a new player while already spectating another player
- Fixed a bug that could cause the chat window to be placed too high on the main menu, blocking menu options
- Fixed a bug that prevented text from wrapping in the Report Player text box